Colerain township was founded in 1738, primarily by Presbyterian Scotch Irish, many of whom had emigrated from the Colerain area of the Irish Provence of Ulster. It quickly filled in with settlers of Quakers, German and Swiss Mennonites, Baptists and Lutherans over the ensuing years.
In 1812 Napolean invaded Russia. The war of 1812 began as the US declared war on England again. James Madison was reelected President and Grimms Fairy Tales were published. AND, the waltz was introduced. At the time many observers considered it disgusting and appalling.
Just a few months earlier, on June 22, 1811 , 209 people had joined together and pledged $1550 to build the first Union Church Building. On February 25th,, 1812 the first trustees purchased 1.84 acres from Joseph Andrews for ten dollars.
In 1813 Beethoven wrote his 7th symphony, the term “ Uncle Sam” was first used, and the Union Congregation decided to build a 36 by 40 foot stone structure across the road from where we are now. Each family agreed to furnish their own pew of a plank on rough hewn pegs.
In 1814 British forces captured Washington DC and were only 80 miles away from Union. Francis Scott Key wrote the Star Spangled Banner and Unions first church was completed at a cost of $400.
On January 8th 1815 the Battle of New Orleans raged on. Unfortunately the war had ended 14 days earlier but the news hadn't gotten there yet. Natural Gas was discovered in West Virginia by someone looking for salt. It would be another 200 years before it would be actively pursued in the region. And Colerain residents worshiped in their new Church building.
In June of 1816 ten inches of snow fell on the northeast United States and it became known as the year without a summer due to a volcanic eruption in Indonesia. And on September 24th, 1816 The Union Presbyterian Church was granted a charter and had elders ordained by the New Castle Presbytery. The Reverend Elkana Dare accepted the call of Union to be its first pastor on November 19, 1817. The United States was only 40 years old, and Union Presbyterian Church was now ready to grow with it.